If you have a website or a blog, you might have used FTP clients e.g Filezilla. FTP clients let you access your website files so that you can upload new files, create directories, update a file and so on.
But what if you could just use Windows explorer to create an FTP drive that can access all your server files ? Let me show you how to do that without using any other software.
FTP drive in Windows, the advantages: Adding the FTP drive has it’s own advantages. First, you can upload and download files from your website just as you move or copy files in Windows. Second, you do not need any FTP clients to install thus making it a universal way to access, upload and download your website’s files from any computer.
Add the FTP Drive of Your Website in Windows
Here is a step by step guide on adding the FTP drive of your website in Windows Vista. This guide also works for Windows XP and Windows 7.
1. Open My computer and click on “Map Network Drive”.
2. A network configuration wizard starts which will guide you through the process. Choose “Connect to a website that you can use to store your documents and pictures”
3. After that, select “Choose a custom network location” and click next.
4. Next specify the FTP address of your website. (e.g ftp://yoursite.com/). Click “Next” when you are done.
5. Add the username of the FTP account and click Next. After that choose a name for your FTP network drive.
The wizard will end and you will see a new drive in Windows explorer as shown below
To access the files of your website, just double click the FTP drive icon and Windows will ask for the username and password of your FTP account. You may choose to save the password for quickly connecting to your website later on (optional). But if you share your computer with multiple users, it is advised not to save the passwords as anybody may get access to your website and may tamper with the files.
You have just connected to your website from Windows vista. You can now upload or download files and folders by a simple copy and paste.
Adding a network drive saves you lot of time especially when you want a full website backup.