Even kids know how to download torrents using popular torrent clients like Bittorrent or utorrent but not many people use torrent for sharing large files with their friends and family members.
Some people think that torrents are an illegal way to download files from the internet while some think that not everybody has the legal rights to create their own torrent files. Before getting on to the procedure to create torrents, please note that creating and sharing torrent is fair unless you are distributing copyrighted material or files which you do not own.
How to Create a Torrent and Let Others Users Download Your Files
Turning your files into torrents can be very useful when you can’t find the download link of a really large file on the internet. Say you have tons of photos stored in your computer and you want to send all of them to a friend without using any file sharing service. Just put all the photos in a folder, create the torrent of that folder, seed it and pass the link of the torrent file.
Torrents can also be useful when you want to backup a large amount of data and do not have an external hard disk. Without much ado, here are the steps to create torrents:
1. To create your own torrents, you will have to download and install a torrent client. Some of the very popular ones are Bittorrent and utorrent which are available for free. For this tutorial I am going to use utorrent (read mutorrent).
2. If you are not sure about the bandwidth and upload speed of your internet connection, click “Run Tests” and optimize the settings for the best configuration
( for faster uploads and downloads ).
3. Click the small magic wand icon or choose “Create a New torrent” from the file menu.
4. This will open a new window where you can specify a list of files or folders which will be transmitted to a torrent file ( this is called seeding).
If you have multiple files to upload, put all of them in a single folder and select the folder as your source directory.
5. Under “Torrent Properties”, you have to enter a tracking URL so that other users or your friends can locate and download your files. You can use free trackers like the open Bittorrent tracker or the popular Piratebay tracker in the “Torrent properties” window.
Here are the URL’s:
Then click the checkbox “Start seeding” and hit “Create and Save as”. This will allow you to save the torrent file anywhere in your computer which you will have to upload to a server so that other users can download it and add in their bittorrent clients.
6. Wait for some time until the files or directories are “seeded”. Once the seeding procedure is complete, you shall see the files seeding in the torrent window as shown below:
7. Once the torrent has finished seeding you have to upload the file to a torrent site. One of the free ways to do this is Fenopy.com, register for an account and use the upload button to upload your torrent file for free.
8. Once the upload is complete, the site will give you a URL which you can copy or bookmark, because this is the URL of the file you have to remember.
Once you get the link of your torrent file, you can simply pass it on to your friends so that they can download it and add to their torrent clients and download your files.
Also read: How to create RSS feeds of torrent links and download them remotely