Android OS needs no introduction. We all use it, day in, day out and we love it, right? However, many of us still can’t install,use, or test the newest versions of the Android OS (4.1, 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 – the image isn’t officially available for download) due to our phone’s hardware or software limitations. The good news is, we can install Android OS on PC, Mac or Linux and have a taste of it.
You may want to install Android OS on PC, Mac or Linux if:
- You want to try android based applications.
- You want to test the OS.
- You want to try it for development purposes.
In this tutorial, we will walk you through the installation process of Android OS on PC, Mac or Linux.
- Download Virtual Box from here. (Virtual Box is a virtual machine which lets you install and run another OS parallely with your current operating system. For more info, click here.)
- Download the Android OS image of your choice. find the links below:
Steps to install Android OS on PC, Mac or Linux:
- Install Virtual Box. Follow the installation instructions.
- Open Virtual Box, click “New” and Select “Linux” and “Other Linux” from the drop down menu. Name the OS and click “Continue”.
- Allocate the memory to the virtual machine. Minimum allocated memory should be beyond 512 megabytes.
- Select the Hard drive type and make it dynamically allocated.
- Choose the location of the installation. Fix the virtual hard drive size (any where between 20-50 gigabytes)
- Navigate to “Settings” and then Storage. Highlight “Empty” under the “Storage Tree”.
- Now, click the small DVD icon located at the right side and mount the Android OS image of your choice and click “OK”. (Note: We chose Android 4.3)
- Start the virtual machine and choose to “Install Android to harddisk” and press “Enter”. (Use up and down arrow keys)
- Click “Create/Modify partitions”-> “New”-> “Primary”.
- Allocate the partition size.
- Select “Bootable” -> Select “Write” ->Type “Yes” and Select “Quit”.
- Select “sda1” parition and click “OK”.
- Select “ext3” in the list.
- Format it.
- Install grub.
- Android OS is installed. Click “OK” to continue with the post installation processes.
- Follow the post installation process. (Select time zone, add your name etc)
- Here you go, you are done my friend.
- Congratulations, you have successfully installed Android OS on your machine.
Android version 4.4 (KitKat) ISO isn’t available for download to be used with Virtual PC at this moment. We will add the image as soon as it becomes available.