Travelling to a new place or just moving around your neighborhood? There are a ton of things there you hardly know of. Be it of historical importance or an eatery to salivate you. You can get to know them with Field Trip an Android app from John Hanke, the brain behind Google Maps.
Get the app from Google Play store. The app runs in the background and pops up whenever you get near anything of interest. You will then read about the place or if you are connected with your headset the app even reads out the details for you. The database of local places is provided by multitude of services adept at tracking attractions around places.
- Arcadia and Historvius for all the local historically important locations.
- Publications like TimeOut, Thrillist, Food Network, Zagat and Eater will help you locate best places to eat, dine, drink and party in the town you are visiting.
- Sunset, Cool Hunting, WeHeart, Inhabitat, and Remodelista will guide you through the unique shopping opportunities the place provides.
- Atlas Obscura, Dezeen and Daily Secret help you uncover some of the crazy and intriguing things at any place you are.
- Songkick and Flavorpill will be your guide for local musical journey.
The app has some smart features like tracking while you drive and speak the instructions without making you read it. It also learn along the way as you keep discovering new places and uses this knowledge to tune the discovery engine to show you things you had previously liked.
The attractions are listed under categories: Architecture, Historic Places & Events, Lifestyle, Offers & Deals, Food Drinks & Fun, Movie Locations, Outdoor Art and Obscure Places of Interest. The app also lets you explore you with a collective map of local interests around you and enthrall you with more info about them. The attraction discovery engine works the reverse way too. You find a place yourself and the app can also enrich you more valuable info about it.
So if you are a travel addict be sure to have your Android phone equipped with Field Trip so you don’t miss something along the way.