Let’s say you have added someone as a friend in Facebook but don’t want to receive messages, wall posts or other notification from that specific Facebook friend. You don’t want to delete the friend from your contacts, it’s just that you don’t want to receive any notifications, messages, wall posts or other application requests.
We have earlier described the step by step procedure to block Facebook applications from appearing in your news feed. But when you block a group of friends on Facebook, you would still see the status updates, wall posts and links shared in your wall. It’s just that these friends would not be able to interact with you on Facebook, because you have blocked them from your privacy settings > Blocked lists.
In that case, here are the steps you can use to block someone on Facebook:
Block People From Adding You to Their Facebook Friend Lists
1. Log in to your Facebook account and click the Account dropdown menu. Then select “Privacy settings”.
2. In the “Privacy settings” page, scroll down to the bottom and select “Block Lists”. The Block lists page allows you to block a friend on Facebook.
3. When you arrive at the “Block Lists” page, you can block the friend either by his profile name or by typing his email address.
The email address option is handy when you want to block strangers and unknown people on Facebook. Otherwise just type in his profile name in the “Block this User” text field and it’s done. Once you block someone, that person can no longer be your friend on Facebook or interact with you (except within applications and games you both use).
How to Unblock Someone On Facebook
Later, if you want to unblock specific contacts from your Facebook profile so that they are able to send friend requests, application invites, messages and wall posts you can follow these steps and lift the profile block.
1. Log in to your Facebook account and click the “Account” drop down from the right top of the browser window.
2. This will open the “privacy settings” page of your Facebook profile. Click “Block Lists” at the bottom of the page (see the 1st image above)
3. When you arrive at the “blocked lists” page, you will find those friends who have been blocked by you. To remove the Facebook block, click the “Unblock” link at the right of the friend’s name and the person is unblocked.
Now that person can send you friend invites, messages, comments, wall posts as usual. Also do check out our earlier tutorial on how to block Facebook application, games and event invites