Top Facebook Status Messages That Were Popular in 2010
It’s the time of the year when every other search engine or a social networking website releases the top trends that were popular among it’s users. We have seen the top keywords in Google, Yahoo’s top search terms, most popular tweets and the top shared videos on YouTube.
Facebook, one of the biggest social networking websites used by millions of users across the globe is no exception.
Facebook has just released a list of top status messages that were popular among Facebook users during the entire year. Among the status messages, there are popular trends such as Haiti earthquake, HMU (Hit me up), world cup, movies, iPhone 4, gadgets and so on.
Below is the complete list of top Facebook status updates that were popular during the year 2010:
1. HMU: HMU is the short hand abbreviation for “Hit me up”, this status update grew rapidly during the middle of 2010 averaging from 1600 posts a day to about 80,000 mentions per day towards the end of the year.
2. World Cup: World cup football is one of the biggest sports event of all times and Facebook audience was taken by a storm during the FIFA world cup 2010 matches. During the FIFA world cup matches, Facebook recorded a mention of 1.5 million mentions of the “World Cup Football” status message.
3. Movies: International movies like “Toy Story 3”, The Twilight Saga, Inception, Alice in Wonderland and Iron Man 2 were popular among Facebook users and many of them added the names of those movies as their status update.
4. iPad and iPhone 4: Apple surpassed it’s biggest Rival(Microsoft) in May 2010 due to the launch of iPhone4 and iPad. This resulted in over 25 million status updates related to these gadgets, posted by Facebook users across the globe
5. Haiti: The January 12 Haiti earthquake was widely felt through Facebook status updates related to Haiti.
6. Justin Bieber: The 15 year pop music star named Justin Bieber also became widely popular among Facebook users and his Sept 12 debut on MTV music awards attrated the maximum number of mentions.
7. Games on Facebook: The biggets trending status update related to Facebook games was “barn rising” while the second most popular game was “Frontierville”
8. Mineros/Miners: The story of the 33 Chilean miners trapped underground for 69 days captivated the world. People globally watched the truly inspiring story unfold as they were rescued one by one after an unimaginable time underground.
9. Airplanes: Using the word “airplanes” is nothing new or noteworthy—most years. But in 2010, it burst onto the scene in status messages thanks to the catchy lyrics of the international hit song “Airplanes.”
10. 2011: This is the most surpring trend seen among Facebook users during the last quarter of 2010.
So that was the list of most popular Facebook status updates for the year 2010. What’s your favorite status ? Share your ideas in the comments section.