Facebook constantly looks for innovative ideas to hook the users to it’s platform. The reasons can be well understood by a study published in 2014 by Princeton researchers that claims Facebook will lose 80% of it’s user base by 2017. Therefore recently Facebook tried to change the user experience by making the videos in their feeds to autoplay. And of course it backfired. The number of users annoyed by the move far exceeded than those who liked it. Not every video is worth watching. Moreover the amount of useful data lost is simply not worth it. Therefore this article will guide you how to tweak the settings in both the website and the app .
How To Stop Videos Autoplaying On Facebook Website
1. Open your Facebook homepage and click on the Down Arrow in the top right.
2. Click on settings.
3. On the left hand panel, click on Videos. This will take you to the Video Setings page.
4. Under Video settings you will now see an option that says Auto-play Videos. Click on the drop down menu in the extreme right and select Off.
Note – You can also change the default quality of the video when you click on one to watch.
How To Stop Videos Autoplaying on Facebook App
If you are accessing Facebook using the app, follow these steps –
1. Go to the options menu of the app by clicking on the three horizontal lines in the top right on the homepage.
2. Scroll down until you see App Settings under Help and Settings. Click on it.
3. Click on the option that says Video Autoplay and select Off. You can also select to autoplay videos only when the device is connected to a Wifi network.
4. While you are at it, learn how to disable the in-app browser and make Facebook app open links externally (and why it may be good for your privacy).
Facebook should realise that such setting updates will only further deteriorate its user experience. This is true especially in countries like India where data plans can be both costly and limited by speed. Get back to me with your comments regarding any doubts about the settings. And don’t forget to subscribe and get your free ebook below!